I was recently in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire. I got to play Blanche, probably the character I have most wanted to play my entire adult life. Hashtag bucket list.
I also decided it was a good opportunity to make a dress to wear as a costume, and I had the perfect pattern from pretty much exactly when the play was set – Vogue 8728. My sister had given this to me for my birthday a few years ago and I’d never made it.
I made a muslin even. (This is just the work in progress shot – clearly.)
I got some appropriate fabric swatches from The Fabric Store and the director chose this cotton with a slight bit of a stretch in it. It was lovely to sew with.
I made adjustments from my muslin, mostly taking out some of the fullness in the bust piece.
While I was pleased with the finish on the final product – I was meticulous – the fit just never really came off around the bust. I think the fabric had too much structure to it and not enough weight. As a result it never hung like it was meant to, and I felt a bit like a deflated balloon in it.
However I do love the pattern and I think I might try it again, but this time with a more drapey fabric.