Dotty over my Spotty Lottie.

I first saw this pattern as made and modelled by the adorable Alisa over at Go Ask Alisa and immediately wanted to make it. I ❤ pussy bow blouses – the perfect combination of classy and sexy!


I searched the interwebs in vain for a place to purchase this pattern; it seems it was a free giveaway with a mag subscription and I couldn’t find it. Then I had a brainwave: The Monthly Stitch community were there at my fingertips! I put out a call:

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 10.50.52 am

The wonderful Siobhan sent me the PDF at no charge! Love that community spirit! (And thanks to all of you sewing sistas who commented.) This was also my first ever time using a PDF pattern. I’ll always choose the paper over the PDF but it wasn’t too bad once it was all taped up and cut out.


I decided (as it’s winter here in NZ) that I wanted to make a version of this with long sleeves and cuffs rather than the open ended, three quarter sleeve on the pattern. So I pattern hacked the sleeve top of the Lottie with the sleeve bottom of my trusty Simplicity 7214 vintage shirt pattern. I also extended the cuffs to emphasise the romantic feeling of the blouse.


I cut a straight size 12 and the fit was perfect on me. Even the darts sit in the right place! Such a win. And after my last Ground Control to Major (sewing) Bomb it was nice to have my sew-jo back.


The instructions are minimal – one side of A4. Mostly they are clear although I did make a few executive decision on methods when I felt that finishing would be messy or their method was too fussy. The only thing I would say is getting that much gather into a small area in a 1cm seam allowance was a bit tricky. While I do like a 1cm seam allowance mostly, it’s in places like this where that extra width allows for a bit more license.

The fabric was part of the unprecedented #fabrichaul of earlier this year from a local opshop. There was about four metres of this so I predict more garments in the next while will be made. It is a crepe backed satin (I think), of a decent weight and drape with small damask / brocade polka dots (you know, the type made by a reverse of the weave in the fabric, someone will know the proper name for this I’m sure… and see below for proof of spots.) It wasn’t fun to cut out as it moved around a lot, but it was lovely to sew with and it drapes like a dream on.


I predict many more iterations of this pattern in my sewing future.


*Disclaimer: Apologies for the low qual photos, the camera battery died just as we went out to take them so phone it was. #whatever


17 thoughts on “Dotty over my Spotty Lottie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s