Indie Pattern Month 17: Indie Royalty

This is my third and final entry for Indie Pattern Month 2017: Indie Royalty. This post has already been published over on the Monthly Stitch blog, but

For Indie Royalty I have chosen to make a mini collection of 4 pieces, 4 outfits – so Project Runway right now. These makes includes 2 repeat makes of patterns in my stash (1&4 – both the pants, shocker right?!), and 2 makes of brand new patterns (2&3). And, 2 Named patterns because I am in love with them *sigh*. (Recently achieved a bucket list goal when Named pinned my Talvikki sweatshirt on Pinterest! There may have been some squealing involved.)

I’ve titled this #minicollection Peace & Passion because all the items are blue or red, and these colours symbolise these very important attributes. Red and blue are both colours that are often associated with royalty, as well as just happening to be my favourite colours ❤ I’ve also tried to go all regal on the styling.

Number 1: The Alpi Chinos, Named Patterns

Contrast pocket lining – always fun!

  • Fabric & notions: Cornflower blue, cotton drill with a flocked underside, purchased second hand. Vintage button from stash, purchased zip and thread, iron-on interfacing on hand.
  • Details: Made size 42 but with alterations as listed below. Added some stitching on the back pockets, of which I am quite proud.
  • Alterations: Lengthened the crotch, sway back alteration, high hip adjustment, and decreased the back in seam.
  • Comments: This fabric is more suited to this pattern than the first fabric I made this pattern up in, however it does ease out so much that they get baggy very quickly. Also I didn’t staystitch the waistband (not included in instructions – grrr – but I should know better!) which meant the pants grew while sewing and consequently are a bit baggy around the waist. I think third time will be the charm with this pattern.
Vintage button – and hello undies!
Pocket stitching

Number 2. The Talvikki Sweater, Named Patterns

  • Fabric & notions: Some poly sweatshirting from my sister’s stash. Thread on hand, fabric paints from sister.
  • Details: Made size 40/42. First time make of this pattern, and it was very easy and simple to make. This is a ‘wearable muslin’, and I have some amazing mohair that I will make it up in next.
  • Alterations: None.
  • Comments: I think I might take the side seams in a fraction on my next make, and lower the vents about 2.5cm. While this sweatshirting has a decent amount of structure, I do think this pattern is really designed for a boiled wool or similar. This will also help give a less “baggy fit”. The painting does obscure the seam lines a little which are the main feature of the pattern, but without the painting it was just too plain for me.
Please take a silent moment with me to appreciate my garage door. Thank you.
Side split
Spot the cat owner

Number 3. The Tea House Dress (top variation), Sew House Seven

  • Fabric & notions: Striped cotton in stash – secondhand, a gift from sister, red thread on hand, iron-on interfacing on hand.
  • Details: Made the Top, View A, size 10
  • Alterations: None made.
  • Comments: I won this pattern in IPM16 and I can see myself making the dress variation of this pattern for sure. It’s a great pattern, I like the way Sew House Seven lay out their instructions and the little “You could use French seams here” type of tips along the way. I tried to really play with the stripes, which I am pretty happy with, especially given the painterly nature of the stripes.
Stripe play

Number 4. The Guise Pants. Pappercut Patterns

  • Fabric & notions: As above, red thread, elastic and iron-on interfacing on hand. Vintage button from stash.
  • Details: I cut the S (as I have finally gotten my head around Papercut’s sizing), the first time I made these pants they were just way too big and I ended up giving them away 😦
  • Alterations: I deepened the crotch curve, added 5 cm to the hem, my high hip adjustment and decreased the back in seam. Sadly this meant that (having cut the S) I was short fabric in my side seams. I could still get them on fine, it just meant that the side seams twisted to the back. So I added a small panel to remedy this, but now know for next time to curve out the back side seam to accommodate the deeper crotch curve for this pattern. I didn’t add the welt pockets or riders as I felt it wasn’t right for the style of pant I envisioned, and also the weight of the fabric.
  • Comments: I enjoyed playing with the stripes on this one too. I’m not in love with how they look around the crotch, but it’s definitely a major improvement from last time. With fabric this light, I probably needed to use a heavier interfacing for the wasitband. I feel like I am 75% there with this pattern, but can see that I will get it working for me 100% by next time, if there is a next time. So many pants, so little time.
Bum cam

Stripe play

Now brace yourself for the barrage of outfit photos. I can’t decide on my favourite combos. What do you think?


Thanks Mel & Kat for your amazing work. It’s been such a great IPM and I have really enjoyed my second time participating and getting to participate more. XX

22 thoughts on “Indie Pattern Month 17: Indie Royalty

  1. Wow! You have been so productive! Love all of your pieces particularly the sweater and those slightly mad red and black stripey trousers!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s